Top best answers to the question «Where does if the shoe fits wear it come from»
This expression dates from the 16th century and was used in print by Richard Hooker in Of the Lawes of Ecclesiasticall Politie, 1593: Which cloake sitteth no lesse fit on the backe of their cause, then of the Anabaptists. The 'cloak' version of the phrase does suggest that the later 'cap' was a variant of 'cape'.
Those who are looking for an answer to the question «Where does if the shoe fits wear it come from?» often ask the following questions:
👠 Where did the term if the shoe fits come from?
However, if the shoe fits, wear it has its antecedent in an English phrase first published in the late 1500s in England… If the cap fits is the shortened version of the idiom if the cap fits, wear it.
- Where does kiwi shoe polish come from?
- Where does the surname shoe come from?
- What does it mean if the shoe fits wear it?
👠 Where does shoe leather come from?
- Most leather comes from developing countries such as India and China, where animal welfare laws are either non-existent or not enforced.
- Who wrote if the shoe fits wear it?
- Where does the expression shoe in come from?
- Where does the name driving shoe come from?
👠 If the shoe fits then wear it?
Depends whether you like the shoe =)
- Where does the name shoe cobbler come from?
- Where does the saying shoe throwing come from?
- Where do shoe materials come from?
We've handpicked 22 related questions for you, similar to «Where does if the shoe fits wear it come from?» so you can surely find the answer!Where does moneysworth and best shoe polish come from?
- Moneysworth & Best is a family-owned Canadian company that started out as a Toronto shoe repair shop in the 1980s. The Shoe Cream is made in Spain from all-natural ingredients, including lanolin, and various oils, waxes, and pigments. The product comes in more than 30 colors.
- FootFitter's Dexlue Long Shoe Horn is made in Italy and measures approximately 28" long. The unique derby handle has been nickel plated to keep it looking new after multiple uses.... FootFitter Deluxe Long Shoe Horn with Nickel Plated Horse Handle is made in Italy and measures approximately 28" long.
- The model is named the "Nyjah Huston Signature Shoe" and the promotional advertisement features Huston executing a trick at set of stairs at Hollywood High School in Los Angeles, U.S.
- Our Oxhorn shoehorns are hand-crafted in the United Kingdom by English artisans with centuries-old methods. These are essential accessories to any well-appointed closet and absolutely required for the care and maintenance of any fine pair of shoes.
- Italy is located in Southern Europe and is a part of the European Union. In Europe, most shoe brands are Italian, where shoe size is the length of the last, expressed in Paris points, for both men and women. In this guide, we’ll show you Italian shoe size conversion to UK, EU, and the US shoe size charts for men, women and kids.
- shoe leather cost refers to the cost of time and effort that people spend trying to counter-act the effects of inflation, such as holding less cash and having to make additional trips to the bank. The term comes from the fact that more walking is required to go to the bank and get cash and spend it, thus wearing put shoes more quickly.
I believe it originated in horse racing.
- Meaning of Idiom 'If the Shoe Fits, Wear It' If the shoe fits, wear it means that if a negative or insulting description or criticism applies to you, you should accept it; more rarely, if any description applies to you, accept it. 1, 2 Want to see more videos from Idioms.Online?
- The story of the origin of this unusual phenomenon is pretty interesting and complex. It began in North America somewhere around the Great Depression when people who lived in the same community would at times hang extra pairs of shoes on trees for others to take as not everyone could afford their own pair of shoes.
- The term originated in the Ivy League colleges and originally reflected a stereotype of old-line firms populated by WASPs. The term historically had antisemitic connotations, as many of the New York firms known as "white shoe" were considered off-limits to Jewish lawyers until the 1960s.
The First traces of the origin of the shoehorn date back to the XV century, in the Victorian era, to help people to wear their shoes more easily. In the fashion of that time shoes were very strength and these new instruments were used daily by the aristocrats.Where do jordan shoe material come from?
where do the jordans come from? where do the jordans come from?
- Definition of 'if the shoe fits'. if the shoe fits. used to tell someone that unpleasant or critical remarks which have been made about them are probably true or fair.
—used to say that something said or suggested about a person is true and that the person should accept it as true "Are you calling me a cheater?" "Well, if the shoe fits, wear it."What does if the shoes fits wear it mean?
US. —used to say that something said or suggested about a person is true and that the person should accept it as true "Are you calling me a cheater?" "Well, if the shoe fits, wear it."What is the meaning of if the shoe fits wear it?
If it applies, take it to heart.Imagine this dialogue: Jack: "Nobody likes someone who rats on other people."Sue: "Are you calling me a tattletale?"Jack: "If the shoe fits, wear it."Jack is saying to Sue, "If this describes you, then I'm talking about you." Jack is saying it indirectly. If he were expressing it directly, he would be saying, "People don't like you, Sue, because you rat on other people" (inform on them--tattle or "tell tales" on them).
- If the shoe fits... originally it came from "if the cap fits...", which alluded to a fool's cap and dates from the early 1700s. It is thought that it changed to shoeas a result of the Cinderella tale. "If the shoe fits, wear it" means, if something has all of the characteristics of a thing, it probably is that thing.
- The original boat shoe was inspired by an avid sailor and his dog. Paul Sperry noticed his dog’s excellent traction when running across ice. When he looked closer, he observed that the natural pattern of the dog’s feet made a herringbone pattern, creating a natural grip on the slippery surface.
The Nike company was technically started in 1964, as Blue Ribbon Sports. After several years, they introduced a shoe line named Nike after the Greek goddess of victory, and ultimately renamed their company to Nike in 1978
- It came from horse racing, where a shoo-in was the winner of a rigged race. In turn that seems to have come from the verb shoo, meaning to drive a person or an animal in a given direction by making noises or gestures, which in turn comes from the noise people often make when they do it.
Clogs date back to the early 13th century in the Netherlands. They were designed to protect the feet of factory workers, artisans, farmers, fishermen, and other trade jobs. Clogs were originally not made entirely from wood but had only a wooden sole with leather strapped over the top.